Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Summer Theater in St. Louis


When I think of summers in St. Louis, I think of The Muny pictured above. As a child, it was as much a part of summer as the Cardinals baseball. We had special sundresses with jackets bought especially for the Muny because we arrived during the heat of early evening but as the show progressed and the sun went down, it got a little cool. The Muny also has giant fans mounted on poles which you can see in the above photo
It is located in the middle of Forest Park with the most beautiful setting anywhere for outdoor theater. There are primarily musicals performed, but we have seen concerts, ballet and I attended an Easter sunrise service there once as a teenager. And, it has history with the first performances in 1916 or 1919 depending on your definition. Click here.

But, we haven't been to the Muny in about 6 years because we've discovered musicals in an air conditioned setting. Our nephew Doug introduced us to STAGES---much closer to home.
Last weekend, we saw The Drowsy Chaperone---a regional premier!
It was such a fun musical---a 1920's-style musical played on an LP record comes to life in a man's apartment. He not only comments about the play, but the actors portraying the roles and we also learn about his life, too. It was wonderful!
We sit in the back row---compare the proximity or our seats to the stage compared to The Muny. Also, we tend to run into someone we know each week--once my guidance counselor Wayne Pounds, friends from church. Sunday, we saw two people from our health club Wellbridge and a teacher from our daughters' elementary school---Barb Smoltz (actually she sat right in front of us in the black and white dress).

So, although we don't go to The Muny any more, musical theater is still an important of our summers in St. Louis

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.