Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mediterranean Cruise-Ephesus


Port of Kusadasi
Turkey was our favorite place on the cruise and as Dave said,"And, I never really wanted to go to Turkey." From the moment we stepped off the ship, it was an amazing place to visit---we'd love to go back and see more.
Our first stop was at a site with four separate ruins---including the remains of one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World (the pillar with storks on top) The Temple of Artemis, a medieval fortress, a mosque and the church of St. John.

There were many places sacred to Christians. The Virgin Mary lived in Ephesus---there are several sites dedicated to her.
This amphitheater was the site of gladiator contests and was also where St. Paul preached.

We then visited a museum which was interesting. I liked how they showed where various artifacts were found.

I never can resist a Tri-Delta reference:

The museum had a wonderful exhibit on gladiators


We also walked through several bazaars:

Then, we went to a Turkish rug demonstration with apple tea being served before we headed back to the ship.

View from our balcony:

That evening, we tried something different!



It was a wonderful day---probably one of the highlights of the trip!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.