Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mother Nature--Such a Jokester

March 28, 2009
On my earlier blog about Spring, I admitted that we probably hadn't seen the last of snow and ice. March 29, 2009 morning
Sure enough, Mother Nature had at least one more blast.
March 29, 2009 afternoon
But, this time of year, the plants bounced right back and a little snow didn't do much damage.
The daffodils were put down a little.But, even they bounced back pretty well.
What is worse, is when we have a deep freeze like we did two years ago after the fruit trees were blooming. We had no local fruit, and we still are living with the consequences of that deep freeze. Most of our native oaks take 2 years for acorns to ripen. As a result, the squirrels this year have had very few acorns to eat.So, of course, they are constantly in my bird feeder. I chased them off every day until I read about the acorn shortage. Despite my daughter Leah's protests, I started feeding the squirrels.
An article in the newspaper said that hungry squirrels girdle trees, eat wiring and create all sorts of problems. The advantage to feeding the squirrels is I sometimes see justice with birds chasing off the squirrels and eating their food!

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

that duck is PRECIOUS! i'd love to look out my window & see him! the squirrels eat all our birdseed. we chase them away every time we see them. kid you not ... when libby sees a picture of a squirrel in a book, she says "NO! NO!" :)

oh & remember that tree i showed you right after we moved in? with NO NEW GREEN LEAVES because as soon as one sprouted, the squirrels ate it? i just cut it down this summer.

augh...

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.