Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Guest Teacher AKA Sub


I use to think that Viola Swamp, pictured above, was the classic Substitute Teacher. But, now that I’ve retired, I’ve returned to substitute teaching after a hiatus last year due to family health problems. I only go to the school(s) that I finished my career in. There, I know the teachers, the administrators, the counselors, custodians and often the families of the students (having had their older siblings in class). I know the system and it makes the job so much easier. By the way, the new job title is "Guest Teacher."

A student once asked, “Do you like substituting?” I replied, “It’s great. I don’t have to go to meetings, plan lessons, grade papers, go to meetings (did I already say that?), call parents. I DO get to teach, learn, see my friends and have fun with you kids. All of that and they PAY me!”

My daughter asked if our school had a lot of retired teachers substituting. Actually, I’m the ONLY teacher that has retired from that school. Our district does pay retired teachers a little more, but we are definitely worth it.

Last week, the roof was being repaired. In addition to the noise (it honestly sounded like a zoo with elephants, birds, apes), they were going to put an adhesive on. The principal came around to warn us. She said if it got too bad, I could go to room 618---the teacher was in the library for the day. Sure enough, the smell began. I looked around the room and saw a boy whose parents I knew would not want him inhaling any fumes—even if they were minor. Since I’d been in that school for years, I could tell the kids to get their things, direct them how we were getting to that room and figure out how I was going to continue the lesson in someone else’s room with a minimum of anxiety.

When that class was over, I sent a student up with a sign for the next group to come down to that room. That class hour is split with lunch. While the kids were at lunch, I sought the teacher out in the library to let her know we’d used some of her note cards. She indicated her next class would need to be back in the room. After going upstairs and checking on the smell, I went down, got my class returning from lunch and took them back to our original class room. No problem. I hate to think of the anxiety a substitute would have not knowing the building, the teacher whose room they were in---not know family histories.


And, I’m learning which I love to do. Each class I substitute in, teaches me something. Last week I learned how to read a pattern and count out the number of pieces the students needed to cut for their sewing project. Also, I read a story by John Gardner (author of Grendel) called “Dragon, Dragon.” But, I also learned how to create a page for the Smart Board I was using in a class. Smart Boards are fantastic---our school just started getting them when I was there, but only the science teachers had them. Since retiring, I’ve learned to use them as a "Guest Teacher"---they replace the overheads, TV/VCR, chalk boards and are one of the greatest innovations in teaching since the computer. Click here for more information about Smart Boards.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.