Saturday, October 18, 2008

Deacons



I'm finishing up my 3rd (and final) year being on the Board of Deacons at St. Mark Presbyterian Church. Deacons have different functions at different churches. At our church a deacon's role is "to minister to those in need, the sick, the lonely and in trouble."

Our emphasis is on local missions. We collect canned food, paper products, school supplies, toys and toiletries for our local food pantry---Circle of Concern. We also collect gently used clothing for several missions in the city in the clothing shed on our parking lot.
We also have several roles in worship. We prepare the elements for communion, assist the pastors and elders with communion and provide flowers for the altar as well as the flower displays at Christmas and Easter.

We conduct several blood drives a year on Sunday mornings in the gym and keep people trained in CPR and in the use of the defibrillator.
We also have a Care giving group which provides visits to our shut-ins, taking them flowers and tapes of the worship service. This group also provides cards and meals for those in need----usually from an illness or a death in the family. Recently we began a support group for those who are caregivers for a parent, child or spouse. For those who wish to attend worship but cannot drive, we have a van which picks them up on Sunday mornings.
We also, assist in various Shelter projects---Beyond Housing and our church camp Mound Ridge have all benefited from our financial donations as well as donations of time, talent. We have provided the same kind of support for a Presbytery-sponsored project in Houma, Louisiana to re-build after two hurricanes.

Recently we have had several events which raised funds for various local charities. I've written Blogs on them. Click here for the blog on the Charity Golf Scramble. Click here for the blog on the ABC Rummage Sale. All in all, serving on the Board of Deacons has been a very rewarding experience.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.