Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Long Ago and Far Away

I love this Norman Rockwell picture---being a genealogist, it always "spoke" to me. I knew that being from one of the border states, I had Union soldiers and Confederate soldiers on both sides of my family. I also knew that I had saints (ministers) and sinners (gamblers and bootleggers) in my family---in fact, they were first cousins!

Genealogy programs have a place for family stories, but it's not in a prominent place. I had all of these wonderful stories, buried on my computer. Even the little stories like how my great grandmother (Mary Reiter Long) had guinea hens that roosted in the trees fascinated me. When I started this blog, I knew I wanted a blog that centered on some of those family stories.

As I explored "Blog World" (using the Next Blog feature), I learned that blogs could have multiple authors/contributors. My hope is my new blog called "Long Ago and Far Away" would provide a forum for cousins to tell their family stories.

In some cases, I have e-mails from cousins, family members which I may use to re-construct stories, but I'm hoping that family members actually will contribute.

So, this blog will continue to be about my life, but my new one will be about our family stories. Click here to go to the new blog.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.