Friday, October 3, 2008

H-O-M-E-C-O-M-I-N-G


The air is crisp! The leaves are beginning to fall! It’s Spirit Week at Francis Howell North (where I sometimes “sub”)! It’s time for Homecoming! The above photo is Rachel and Leah. Rachel was all dressed up for the Pep Assembly where she was a Maid. Leah was probably in middle school and basking in her sister's glow.

Last weekend I had my high school reunion where I saw movies of our Homecoming--- the float making, the parade, the game and finally the dance. It is such an exciting time! Although I don’t think I have any photos of MY homecoming, I do have several of my daughters. I've tried to be kind---no photos of Rebecca with the first and last dress I made for a formal dance; no photos of them with their beaux de jour! (Geez---I'm a German teacher, why am I worried about French endings?)

Sorry girls! Here is a photo of Rachel and Leah watching the parade getting lined up. I don't think either was in high school---that "float" is a Phillipine Taxi??? Not sure what that has to do with Homecoming. But, I thought Rachel's outfit was worth putting the photo on. Note the cheerleaders in the back (school colors are powder blue and white?)

Here is Rebecca getting ready for the dance modeling her dress and earrings (or are those Christmas ornaments?)

Here is a very memorable Homecoming---Rachel was Retiring Queen and Leah was the Sophomore Maid the same year. Dave’s dad and my parents are in the background with Dave's brother Harry and our sister-in-law Karen.


The final photo is Rebecca at Mizzou wearing her Uncle Jim’s MU cap---not sure if this is a Homecoming photo or not. I hope Jim doesn’t come looking for that cap. . .I suspect it is long gone!
Go Mizzou! Go Parkway West! Both have winning football teams this year---hope this isn't like the Sports Illustrated Jinx.

3 comments:

Leah Warren said...

Oh mom, thanks for the photos : ) (actually I look quite slim in most of them, so keep them coming!)

Jaclyn Morgan said...

Leah is that the sweater set you just sold at the garage sale?

hear.t. and hue said...

seriously - what IS it with me & sweater v-necks and black & white check? i seem to notice a pattern... no pun intended.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.