Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mizzou Homecoming


Mizzou is recognized by many as beginning the Homecoming tradition which is celebrated by colleges, universities and high schools around the country. Click here for a discussion of the history of Homecoming. They also claim the first bowl game with University of Texas (see above photo)in Mexico City.

After the Tailgate Party, we were ready for some football, but first we watched the team enter the field, followed by Truman the Tiger (the mascot)---the fire engine sprayed water on the fans in the cheap seats!
The game began and we quickly took the lead.



The half-time show had the real Marching Mizzou band spelling out M-I-Z-Z-O-U.

The chocolate cupcakes Roman had at the Tailgate Party, weren't quite enough for a growing boy.
Every time there was a touch-down, Truman had to do push-ups---he must have been exhausted at the end of the game with 58 push-ups.
We decided to leave during the 4th Quarter with Roman. We took him back to the hotel with us where we all crashed at 9:30 PM.
The next morning, we went to Boone's Tavern for brunch with the Lewises and the Yateses.

Roman and Nana (Marilyn Lewis) entertained us. After brunch, the Lewises and Yateses celebrated Zachary and Megan's birthdays while we headed back to St. Louis.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

so cute... love that pic of dad & Roman... I'll have to get a copy

hear.t. and hue said...

YES that pic of dad & roman is hysterical! :)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.