Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween 1980's


Our family has had a long tradition of celebrating Halloween---even my parents Louise (above) and LeRoy (below) Long enjoyed the tradition.

We never bought costumes, but usually made them or put them together from what we had.

Leah and her friend Katie as dalmatians.
Princess Rachel and Daddy (the Bum)
Above---Princess Leah, Clown Rachel and Scarecrow Rebecca.

Occasionally, we'd buy a few accesories like a hat, wings or masks.

Gypsy Rebecca, Clown Leah and Witch Rachel (above). Below fairy Leah and cat Rachel.


We are very fortunate in St. Louis to have warm enough weather at Halloween, to even wear dancing costumes.
(Pictured above: J.J. Hoelscher, Robbie Ericson, Patrick Noonan, Leah Morgan, Kelly Noonan)

Halloween isn't really my favorite holiday---too many years teaching middle school, I think. I can hardly believe I agreed to substitute three times this week! The Halloween gene must have skipped me! Bah! Humbug!

2 comments:

Christi Provost said...

CUTE!!

hear.t. and hue said...

oh i love dad as the bum!!! so cute!

i can see my nightmare tonight already... somehow i think it'll involve a freaky looking clown with a sky-high hat ... and the scarecrow that's next to her. and possibly princess leia.

i'm a huge fan of MAKING costumes, too! :)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.